Looking for baby formula for your preterm baby? Similac Neosure and Enfamil Enfacare are among the best baby formulas.
Luckily, I did not have to deal with a preterm birth with any of my four kids, but our family has dealt with preemie babies so I do have experience in the subject.
Also, with my daycare I saw many preemies too, and each had their own unique set of challenges.
Through decades of being a parent and owning a daycare, I have learned some specific lessons on baby formulas. I want to help you learn all about them as well.
Both Neosure and Enfacare are both quality formulas, as they mimic breast milk.
Although both baby formulas are recommended for premature babies, they have their fair share of advantages and disadvantages.
This makes it challenging to choose between the two. That’s why this article seeks to provide you with detailed information about the two formulas to simplify your decision-making.
Table of Contents
- Similac Neosure
- Enfamil Enfacare
- Can You Switch Baby Formula for Premature Babies from One Brand to Another?
- Final Thoughts
This formula is ideal for babies who were before born the 9-month mark. And it aims to provide premature babies with all the nutrients needed to catch up to full-term babies.
The formula is fortified with a unique blend of necessary calories, proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
Preterm babies need more calories to help them grow faster, and Similac Neosure contains more calories and proteins, which are also required to help the baby “catch up” so to speak.
Neosure is often the first choice for babies as it doesn’t contain any artificial growth hormones. It is recommended for use after being discharged from the hospital and during your baby’s first year as they grow at a tremendous rate. The rule of thumb is that newborns triple (3x) their birth weight in their first year of life.
- Non-fat milk
- Lactose mixed with corn syrup solids
- Whey and casein
- Whey protein concentrate
Advantages of Using Similac Neosure
- This formula is enriched with calcium and phosphorus to support the development of babies’ bones.
- It supports the development of your baby’s brain and eyes due to its abundance of vitamin E, lutein, and DHA
- The presence of Vitamin E supports cell growth
- The baby formula contains more calories, which are essential to help your preterm baby gain weight faster
- The formula is easily digested and absorbed by the baby, thus providing energy
- Your baby gets better visual acquisition at six months of the correct age as the formula supports eye development
- At 12 months of age, the baby shows increased lean mass and reduced fat mass
- There is a visible improvement in the baby’s language development when they reach their 14 month mark
- The formula is classified as gluten-free and kosher certified
Disadvantages of Using Similac Neosure
- Babies may suffer constipation due to high levels of protein in the formula.
- The formula is responsible for causing a gastrointestinal disorder called, Necrotizing enterocolitis. The disease causes damage to the bowel walls and requires surgery
- The baby may suffer a gassy stomach, which leads to fussiness
- It has artificial sugars in the corn syrup
This formula is typically sold in powder and liquid form and allows caregivers to form baby formula as directed by the physician. The formula prides itself on being the first to create a mix of Milk Fat Globule Membrane (MFGM) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
Enfamil Enfacare contains specific amounts of corn syrup and lactose, which help the baby feel full for longer. It also includes a fine blend of vitamins and minerals such as iron, calcium, proteins, omega3 fatty acids, and oils such as coconut, sunflower, and soy.
It requires you to maintain utmost hygiene during preparation, dilution, and storage as it is easily contaminated. And the best part is you can use it for up to one year as it supports your baby’s overall growth and development.
Advantages of Using Enfamil Enfacare
- Promotes faster growth of preterm babies, especially after discharge from hospital
- After good development in premature babies, they can switch from Enfamil Enfacare to Enfamil Infant
- The formula contains inositol, a carbohydrate found in human breast milk that promotes proper brain development in the baby
- Provides extra calories for baby to promote a good weight gain
- It contains DHA, which supports the development of your baby’s cognition and visual development
- Fortified with choline, which supports the brain development of a baby
- The formula contains 54% more calcium and phosphorus than Enfamil infant baby formula
Disadvantages of Using Enfamil Enfacare
- The formula is sensitive to spoilage once prepared as it may go up to 1 hour
- It should not be microwaved upon preparation
Similarities between Similac Neosure and Enfamil Enfacare
Similac Neosure and Enfamil Enfacare have a lot of similarities and differences.
- The formulas are meant for preterm babies
- They provide babies with essential nutrients for growth
- Both formulas are FDA certified
- Both formulas are proven to be easily digestible by preterm babies
- Both brands have money-saving loyalty programs. Similac StrongMoms Rewards, for the Similac brand and Enfamil Family Beginnings Program, for the Enfamil Brand
- Both formulas aim at providing a baby with a robust immune system
- Both baby formulas have an equal content of proteins at 2.8g for every 4.5 fluid ounces
- Similac Neosure and Enfamil Enfacare have formulas available in powder or ready-to-drink liquid
- Both formulas contain lactose and are not recommended for lactose intolerant babies
- Enfamil Enfacare contains a fat-protein blend of MFGM and DHA, which is suitable for brain development, while Similac Neosure includes a combination of DHA and ARA, which is ideal for the growth and repair of muscle cells in babies
- Similac Neosure has been named to have no artificial growth hormone in its formula, while Enfamil Enfacare has not called this out specifically
- The cost of Similac Neosure is $31.49 for a 22.8-ounce tub, while the cost of Enfamil Enfacare for a 23.0-ounce tub is $33.99 (currently)
- Similac Neosure is yellow branded, while Enfamil Enfacare is the blue brand
- Similac Neosure contains 10.1 g of carbs per 4.5 fluid ounces in its formula, while Enfamil Enfacare contains 10.4 g of carbs per 4.5foz
- The Neosure formula contains a higher omega6 fatty acid content of 1000g than Enfacare, which contains 860g of the fatty acid
Can You Switch Baby Formula for Premature Babies from One Brand to Another?
It is possible to switch baby formula brands in premature babies. The switch is done when parents notice their baby is experiencing frequent spit-ups, diarrhea, slow weight gain, and fussiness.
Most doctors, however, recommend sticking to the same formula as babies may have difficulty adjusting to a new brand. Note that they have a still developing digestive system.
Enfacare vs Neosure by Sharon Dunn
Finding the right baby formula for your baby is quite a challenge, especially if your baby is born before the 9-month mark. You may feel guilty about not being able to breastfeed fully but remember, the formula is essential to provide your baby with calories and proteins needed to help them catch up with their actual age.
Research and consult your pediatrician before giving your baby any formula after leaving the hospital.
Thanks for reading my articles,