Whether you’re painting a cot to match the crib decor or painting a geometric wall in the crib, it’s crucial to examine the best paint for baby crib to provide a safe environment for your kid.
I have messed up man paint jobs in my day, but being a mother of four I had to learn the hard way before knowing how to paint the right way.
Your kid will spend a substantial amount of time in the crib, so keeping good quality paint is a need. Are you trying to find the paint safe for baby crib or on furniture?
Here are seven of the best paints for a baby’s crib and nursery that are safe for your little one.
Table of Contents
7 Best Paint for Baby Crib for You
- 1. Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance DIY
- 2. Shabby Chic Multi-Surface Sealant Clear for Chalk Paint
- 3. Country Chic Chalk Style Paint
- 4. Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance Deluxe Starter Kit
- 5. Amy Howard At Home Paint
- 6. Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
- 7. Fusion Mineral Paint 500 ml Azure
- Choosing Paint For a Crib or Other Furniture
- What About Painting the Cribs?
- How to Pick the Safest Best Paint for Baby Crib?
- What Tools and Materials Are Necessary to Paint a Crib?
- How to Paint a Crib in a Few Easy Steps?
- Can You Paint a Crib in the Safest way Possible?
- Is Painting a Wooden Crib Safe?
- For a baby’s crib, what kind of paint is safest?
- Why choose NO-VOC Paint for Crib?
- Wrapping Up
Our Top Pick
To pick the best baby safe paint, we have considered so many criteria. We have asked several parents and collected their experiences. We also study a thousand real customer reviews from Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and many more. And finally, based on quality, durability, non-toxic element, color variations, primer materials, UV ray protection, and so many options, we have picked up Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance DIY as our top choice.
7 Best Paint for Baby Crib for You
Here is a list of the safest paints for baby cribs that you can easily use to make your beloved’s sleeping place more colorful and attractive.
1. Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance DIY
Renaissance DIY’s Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint is a brush-on, non-toxic, hypoallergenic paint. With a chalky finish, it’s ideal for cubs, other furniture, and cabinetry.
|Color||02 Ivory Tower – Antique White|
|Included Components||Chalk finish paint|
|Surface Recommendation||Other – any hard surface|
About This Product
You can use this paint on your baby’s furniture since it is safe, odorless, non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and has no VOCs. With 43 distinct hues to choose from, there is bound to be a style for everyone.
Your baby’s crib safe paint will look great with a chalk finish, which is both fashionable and long-lasting. Also, indoor painting is possible because of the minimal odor.
There is no requirement for sanding or pre-priming. Most surfaces may be painted with this paint. Two coats of color are the most common application method by most consumers.
It gives excellent and even coverage with just one layer and doesn’t require any priming.
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor tasks.
- Hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and devoid of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- No priming or sanding is required.
- The finish is chalky but not gritty.
- It is advised that two coats of paint be applied.
- Inconsistent coverage can be found.
Why it’s great: One of the most user-friendly solutions is this chalk paint. This paint is remarkable because it does not require any pre-application preparation and typically only one or two coats to get a smooth, chalky finish. You won’t need as much because a little goes a long way. In addition, it dries in around 30 minutes.
Editor’s Note: Check out our Buying Guide For How to paint a baby crib
2. Shabby Chic Multi-Surface Sealant Clear for Chalk Paint
Incredibly flexible, this baby safe furniture paint can be applied to any surface, from wood to metal to plastic to brick and even cement! The crib and any other piece of furniture in the baby’s room can be redone by you. Alternatively, you may paint the walls a different color.
|Brand||Shabby Chic Chalk Based Furniture Paint|
About This Product
Expanding and contracting with the surface it is applied on; the multi-surface sealant makes the surface more durable.
Low sheen acrylic sealer with a water-based formula, Shabby chic multi-surface sealant may be used on various surfaces. When using paint with a chalk foundation, use a glossy clear coat to protect the surface.
Protect painted surfaces both inside and outside rain, dampness, sun/UV rays, and minor abrasion are all protected by this material.
- No primer or undercoat is required for restoration.
- It is perfectly safe to use this water-based chalk paint near youngsters.
- Distressed and baroque looks may be achieved with this chalk-based furniture paint.
- Water-repellent exterior paint additives
- A considerable pop signaled the end of the roof.
- This paint is for people who want a thin, emollient base.
Why it’s great: You don’t have to worry about it in the crib because it’s water-based, non-toxic, and has a low odor and deficient volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Your baby’s furnishings will have a more worn appearance thanks to the fabric’s excellent covering and lucrative appearance. Also, you may choose from 35 different colors so that you can match them to your child’s theme.
3. Country Chic Chalk Style Paint
Country Chic is an all-in-one, clay-based chalk-style paint. The primer and topcoat are already included, to make the application a cinch. Also, it’s quite long-lasting, and each coat takes no more than 30 minutes to dry. If you like, you may distress your baby’s cot to give it a vintage feel.
|Brand||Country Chic Paint|
About This Product:
The adaptability of this kid-safe spray paint is one of its finest qualities.
In addition to painting your baby’s crib using this paint, you may use it for furniture, home décor, artwork, and other crafts. Even more importantly, there are no harsh chemicals like formaldehyde and phthalates in this product.
Long-lasting durability, excellent adherence to a broad range of surfaces, and minimal prep work are just some of the advantages of this paint (just clean first). This paint for cribs also can be used for both indoor and outdoor painting jobs.
It’s time to get your hands on low-odor, safe paint for your furniture and home decor. The pigments in Country Chic Paint are entirely free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)!
- Country Chic Paint is a simple program to use.
- Whether you’re a complete beginner or a seasoned painter, the effects are stunning.
- Unlike any other furniture paint on the market, this one has more 5-star ratings.
- Vegan and environmentally friendly, with deficient levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs),
- No harsh chemical compounds, such as phthalates, are present.
- Licorice turned out to be a dark navy color, rather than black.
- It’s a breeze to get rid of!
Why it’s great: Ultra-low VOCs and ultra-low odor make it safe to use. The European Toy Safety Standards have deemed it safe for use in a baby’s nursery, even though it contains certain VOCs. It’s available in pints or quarts in 35 distinct colors.
4. Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance Deluxe Starter Kit
Faster outcomes are attainable with the help of Retique It. Painting furniture and cabinets with Retique It Chalk by Renaissance is an ecologically friendly paint. No VOCs, hypoallergenic, and non-toxic.
|Finish Type||Chalk paint|
About This Product:
The absence of a California Prop 65 notice on this container suggests that the fumes of this product are safe for long-term use.
Even though it was initially intended to be used for cabinetry and furnishings, To put it another way, if you try to use this product on anything but specified surfaces, you will end up with a floppy finish.
Additionally, the coverage is up to 40 m2 per liter for a single layer, making it unique for large-scale construction projects. When comparing products, it’s worth twice as much.
It has excellent chalky coverage that only one or two applications can achieve. A high-quality finish with a long lifespan makes it ideal for masking imperfections on surfaces.
It also has excellent water and wears resistance since it penetrates the wood effectively.
- The wood-like polish is excellent.
- Because it IS made of wood, it has the appearance and feel of genuine wood.
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- There are a lot of solid colors to choose from, and it’s eco-friendly as well as inexpensive.
- It looks like that last is tough to come by.
- The price is a little high.
Why it’s great:
With the protection of yourself, your families, and the ecosystem in consideration, the Retique It Furniture and Cabinet Paint is developed. Also, Innovative uses only the best ingredients and emits 0% VOC’S. Finally, one to two coats are generally enough for this level of coverage.
5. Amy Howard At Home Paint
Amy Howard At Home Paint is ideal if you want to skip sanding, stripping, and even priming your walls. You may use it on your baby’s crib because it contains no VOCs.
|Brand||AMY HOWARD AT HOME|
|Item Volume||32 Fluid Ounces|
|Size||2 Pounds (Pack of 1)|
|Unit Count||32 Ounce|
About This Product
Amy Howard Paint is really beautiful and baby-safe paint for cribs. It’s water-based, so it doesn’t have an unpleasant odor, making it ideal for use in a nursery.
It dries in 20 minutes and covers an area of up to 140 square feet with a single can. The only drawback is that there are just a few colors to choose from. On the other hand, a chalk finish makes this the paint to use.
It’s easy to use a nontoxic spray paint without requiring any additional work. With this paint, you don’t need to do any priming, stripping, sanding, or top-coating. So, if you haven’t already done so, go ahead and paint your furniture.
- Old white water-based paint may be used on any surface.
- Before applying 20 years of establishing a brand of superior-quality home
- There is no need to sand, strip, or use a paint primer before applying
- It may have some cracks once dried
- A little pricey
Why it’s great: Thanks to Amy Howard’s, it’s easy to paint and refinish furniture at home with its One-Step Paint. Become a professional painter in no time with this product’s exceptional coverage and ease of use. You won’t have to wait days for the paint to dry so that you may apply another coat right away.
6. Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
In terms of nontoxic paint, Rust-Oleum is one of the best brands to use in your baby’s nursery or if you want to paint some wooden furniture in your home.
About This Product
If you want nontoxic wood paint, Rust-Oleum is your best option. With a wide range of colors to choose from, you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for in no time.
This is also the ideal paint for use in the home’s interior. Because of its exceptional coverage and stickiness, a velvety, matte finish is achieved on a wide range of surfaces, including wood, metal, ceramics, and canvas.
A single can of this baby furniture paint may cover up to 150 square feet of surface area. You can remove Rust-Oleum infant safe paint with washing and water before it dries, thanks to its latex formula. It dries rapidly in about 30 minutes, which was a big plus for us.
- Many surfaces may be covered with a single application.
- Preparation is tiny, and the application process is straightforward.
- A velvety smooth finish may be damaged for a more vintage appearance.
- This water-based paint has a minimal odor and can easily be wiped off with soap and water.
- For the most satisfactory results, five coats are required.
- It’s not as long-lasting as you may think.
Why it’s great: You may sand the surface to expose the original color below with this paint. So, if you want to give your hue a retro vibe, go for it. Customizing your baby’s crib is one of the best ways to have fun.
7. Fusion Mineral Paint 500 ml Azure
An excellent all-purpose paint for baby cribs and furnishings is Fusion Mineral Paint. There are a wide variety of colors to choose from! Because this is a “low-VOCs” paint, it doesn’t qualify as “zero-VOCs,” but it is non-toxic, does not contain lead, and has no odor. Because it is free of formaldehyde and ammonia, it is an excellent choice for a baby’s nursery.
|Brand||Fusion Mineral Paint|
|Item Volume||500 Milliliters|
|Paint Type||Mineral, Fusion|
|Unit Count||16.9 Fl Oz|
About This Product:
In addition, Fusion mineral paint has a lead-free and nontoxic spray paint function.
You won’t need to do any preparatory work before applying this paint because it serves as the base and the finish. All-in-one paint is the most convenient option. a 500mL container should be adequate for 75 square feet of smooth coverage.
The most incredible thing about this paint is that it doesn’t harden or separate for seven years in the bottle. This implies that if you ever need to paint a new piece of furniture in the future, you won’t have to worry about the color is out of stock.
- Everything You Need Is Included!
- Fusion is a self-leveling and easy-to-apply product that requires no prior work.
- No waxing, no final coat.
- Led-free, odorless, low-VOC latex and spray paint are available in Fusion hues.
- A nontoxic paint for baby furniture
- Some consumers noticed that they see uneven roller marks.
- You must use priming and a final coat.
Why it’s great: There are no VOCs or toxins in Fusion Mineral paint. Also, tones have created a collection of ecologically friendly baby furniture and toys for Tots. Since there is no need for sanding or priming, and the finish is already included, this product is easy to use.
Choosing Paint For a Crib or Other Furniture
Before buying, you need to know which paints are the safest best paint for baby cribs to use. Find out what the best alternatives are by reading on.
Using water-based paints has become more prevalent as an eco-friendly, child safe paint for furniture and a healthy alternative to oil-based paints in recent years. A few things, however, can exacerbate allergies and asthma in youngsters.
Low or no VOC?
You may pick from a variety of low- and zero-VOC paints. Optional choices include:
- Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint
- Shabby Chic Multi-Surface Sealant Clear
- Country Chic Chalk Style Paint
- Amy Howard At Home Paint
- Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
A can of spray paint
It is only appropriate to apply custom-made spray paint on furniture for babies, children, and toddlers. You won’t be able to buy it anywhere. For example, a spray can benefit from Benjamin Moore, ordered with a specific hue and either Zero VOC or Low VOC emissions. Convenience outweighs the increased price tag in this case.
Simpleton by Valspar
Babies and toddlers can safely use these products since they contain minimal or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Chalk paint with little or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Annie Sloan and Amy Howard paints are two of the best alternatives for child-safe chalk paint.
Colors are safe for pregnant women to use.
Pregnant women should only use low or zero VOC content paint. In most cases, low-VOC latex and completely non toxic paint for crib should be used. Even so, the area being painted must be adequately ventilated. Pregnancy-safe paint kinds and brands can be found in the list below.
The stain is safe to use.
An excellent non-toxic stain is Earth Paint. It’s a safe technique to acquire the natural wood hue you want for your baby’s or child’s room’s crib or other furniture.
What About Painting the Cribs?
It has been decided that the infant will be sleeping in a new crib. Even though the crib is secure and cozy, it doesn’t match the nursery’s color scheme.
Alternatively, you may make do with an antique crib whose paint has peeled or otherwise appears to be faded. In both cases, painting the crib is a simple remedy. You may either hire a professional to perform the painting for you or do it yourself. There is no need to hire a professional to paint a crib.
Even if you’re a novice at DIY projects like this, the cot may be painted. You have the freedom to paint it any color you choose so that you may coordinate it with the nursery’s design and color scheme. Repainting a baby’s cot by hand demonstrates your devotion to the new arrival. To paint your baby’s cot, follow the methods shown below.
How to Pick the Safest Best Paint for Baby Crib?
You are now in the crib painting project. Choosing child safe furniture paint is now the most critical consideration. Non-toxic paint for a baby cot must be used for painting the crib.
There are several things to take into consideration when selecting cot paint that is safe for babies:
- Make sure you choose the paint with minimal or no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compound).
- VOCs should not exceed 50 grams per liter for low VOCs. There are minor hazardous compounds in paints with low or zero VOC content.
- The paint should be odorless or have a very low odor, and only include a few ingredients to achieve this.
- Purchase water-soluble paint. Non-toxic and lead-free water-soluble paints are available.
- Using a paint that doesn’t need a primer is preferable. It will have a lower concentration of pollutants.
- It should be lead-free. Even though most paints nowadays are lead-free, it’s still a good idea to read the label to make sure.
- It’s supposed to be safe.
- To avoid mold or mildew growth, look for paint that contains antimicrobial compounds.
What Tools and Materials Are Necessary to Paint a Crib?
When it comes to safe paint for baby furniture like a crib, the process is simple and can be completed with a few simple tools. However, if you have the necessary supplies, you may make your task more accessible and more fun for yourself. To paint the crib, you’ll need the following:
- A VOC-free, odorless paint would be ideal.
- Lint-free cloths
- Non-toxic liquid sandpaper, a medium/fine-grit sandpaper, or a deglosser can be used to remove surface imperfections.
- A high-quality paintbrush with synthetic bristles or a paint sprayer
- Painting sponges in the shape of a circle
- A VOC-free, odorless topcoat for loose dirt
- A fine mist spray bottle loaded with clean water is ready to go.
- Clothes tacked on the wall.
- Intensely abrasive pads
- Two tablespoons of vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio, or a TSP without rinsing
How to Paint a Crib in a Few Easy Steps?
You’ve purchased the crib, selected the non toxic paint for baby crib, and gathered all the necessary tools and materials to complete the project. To finish your crib, you have to follow these simple instructions. Following these procedures will ensure that your baby’s cot is painted to perfection.
Open space like a garage or an unoccupied room can place the crib on old fabric or newspapers. Make sure the crib is spotless and free of any debris. Even a single speck of dust might wreak havoc with your paintwork, so be particularly vigilant in removing all of it.
Water and a towel can be used to remove the dust, or vinegar and water (1:1) or non-abrasive TSP pads can be used. Before painting, allow the crib to dry thoroughly.
Although it isn’t essential, the crib may be disassembled if necessary for a complete painting job. Avoid dust inhalation by using a mask.
Scruff or lightly sand the crib’s whole surface to remove any remaining pieces. Fine or medium sandpaper or sanding sponge can be used to smooth out imperfections. A mild sanding is all that is needed to roughen up the surface. The previous paint should be scraped off to reveal the inner surface.
To ensure that the fresh paint stays put, it is necessary to rough up the surface first. Scuffing must be even to ensure that the new paint consistently adheres to the wood.
Remove any sanding dust from the crib using a tack cloth. Keep an eye out for dust in the nooks, corners, and crevices. Your hard work will be wasted if you leave sanding dust on the crib, which will blend with the paint and create an uneven surface. Alternatively, a moist towel can be used to wipe the entire surface. Remember to clean the crib and dry it properly after use.
Do not use any harmful paint on the crib. Repaint it after waiting four to six hours. Ensure there are no drips or stains left before applying a second layer. Apply spot paint to the remaining color drips with a bit of sanding. Apply a second layer when the first has dried. Make sure you use a high-quality brush when painting.
Painting using a cheap brush will not create the most outstanding results, even if you’ve used the best paint. A high-quality brush is used to apply paint with a professional-like finish. So, don’t forget to use a good meeting. Do not forget to stock up on medium-to-small-sized paintbrushes. For big surfaces, use a medium brush, and for nooks and crannies, tiny brushes.
A decent paint sprayer can also be used. Stencils are available on the market that may be used after the paint has dried to create designs or write anything on the crib. It will enhance the look of your crib and personalize it.
This is a non-required step. It’s up to you whether or not you want to participate. A safe, clear finish can be applied to the crib once the second layer of paint has dried.
The clear finish topcoat provides no value to the painting process. It only serves to protect and protect the paint from minor scratches, and the color itself stays unscathed. Nonetheless, if you’ve chosen high-quality paint that’s non-toxic, you don’t need to apply a topcoat to refinish a crib.
Because you chose non-toxic baby safe spray paint, the painted crib is ready to be used as soon as the topcoat or second coat of enough paint dries.
Can You Paint a Crib in the Safest way Possible?
Do you want to decorate your baby’s room? Many people ask whether or not painting a crib is safe. When doing this, a few things to keep in mind, like crib material, paint choice, and ventilation.
Before you start slathering on the paint, have a look at these helpful hints. Some of our Neighborly® home service providers may also be able to assist you in creating a safe and welcoming environment for your new family member.
Is Painting a Wooden Crib Safe?
When choosing the best paint for children’s furniture, the first step is to ensure that the crib’s material will not flake or peel when painted. Wooden cribs are usually suitable for painting. Check the crib manufacturer’s suggestions to see if painting is a brilliant idea.
For a baby’s crib, what kind of paint is safest?
Here are some things to keep in mind while painting non toxic spray paint for crib:
- Sealants and paint additives that have not been authorized for use on children’s toys or cribs should not be used.
- Choosing paints that are EN71-3 or ASTM F963-17 approved will ensure that the color is suitable for use on children’s toys.
- It’s best to go with non-toxic paint that doesn’t have any silicates of lead in it (VOCs). Remember that while the initial color may not contain any VOCs, the paint is commonly tinted to your selected hue; VOCs are frequently added.
- The SQAQMD-113 rule, which governs VOCs in the paint base and tinting agents, applies to a limited number of paints. A “Waterborne Interior-Acrylic-Enamel” complying with these criteria may be a good option.
- It’s up to the individual to decide which paint finish is ideal. Semi-gloss paint is popular because of its aesthetic appeal, low-maintenance, and long-lasting dry properties.
Why choose NO-VOC Paint for Crib?
Child safe spray paint for wood that has just been applied emits volatile organic compounds (VOCs), chemical substances.
Skin irritations, headaches, nausea, and liver and kidney damage are all symptoms of long-term or short-term health problems connected with them. Adults have been exposed to VOCs and have experienced these negative consequences.
VOCs should be avoided for infants because of their growing systems’ sensitivity to these harmful substances. It is hard to eliminate VOCs, as they may be found in many home items and the air inside and out.
To prevent VOCs, we need to carefully choose the things we use on and around our children. To ensure that your baby’s crib or nursery is safe, you need to choose non-toxic, zero VOC, no odor, baby-friendly paint.
Is Rustoleum chalk paint safe for babies?
A water-based lullaby painted baby furniture that may be used for various minor crafts and hobbies. This paint may also be used to adorn children’s toys and furniture, as it is certified to be safe for children. An EN71-3: 2019 certified toy-safe brush paint from Rust-Oleum is available.
What paint is safe for a crib?
There is no need to wait until the paint and wax have thoroughly dried before applying chalk paint on children’s furniture, such as cribs or playhouses. Pregnant women should use child safety paint, avoid using the wax altogether.
Is it safe to paint a crib?
Have you ever wondered if painting a crib is safe? Since the safety of your kid always comes first, you may undoubtedly paint your baby’s cot, but you’ll need to use the proper paint. It is critical that you use paint free of VOCs, odorless, and non-toxic for the baby while painting the cot.
Can you paint a crib?
The reality is that you may safely paint a cot, but you must use the proper paint since kid safe spray paint is always the most crucial consideration. The paint you choose for the crib must have zero volatile organic compounds (VOCs), be odorless, and not be hazardous to the baby.
Can you paint a crib without sanding it?
No sanding is required if you’ve previously primed the crib. Scuff sanding is usually only necessary on cribs with a glossy finish. Lullaby Paint may “bite” into a “roughened” surface, so don’t sand it to the point of ruining the surface.
You can’t go wrong with any baby-safe paints we’ve reviewed here. Using any paints on this list on your child’s crib is risk-free. Pick the best paint for baby crib from our list that appeals to you, and your baby’s crib will transform into an item of eye-catching furniture.